Ecohealth Ph.D candidate position announcement (closed)
PhD student position of the FBLI project
Center for Public Health and Ecosystem Research (CENPHER)
Hanoi School of Public Health (HSPH)
1. Position: PhD student
2. Duration: 39 months, from July 2013
3. Institution and Project:
The Hanoi School of Public Health (HSPH, www.huph.edu.vn) was formally established in 2001 as the sole university in Vietnam for developing modern public health as an agent of change for protecting human health through training and research. During the past decade, HSPH has made remarkable progress in offering degree programs in public health (BSc, MSc, and PhD) and hospital management (MSc), as well as in translating research findings to inform policy. The Center of Public Health and Ecosystem Research (CENPHER, http://cenpher.huph.edu.vn ) is a newly developed research unit at HSPH. The mission of CEPHER is to study the health and well-being impacts of environmental, ecological, cultural, socio-economic, and demographic factors using the integrative approaches of Ecohealth/One Health with special focus on South East Asia, with links to common issues in Africa. We focus on the links between health and agriculture, infectious and zoonotic diseases, chemical pollution, and food safety and nutrition, from the lab to the field.
Ecohealth is useful for addressing health and environmental issues in developing countries, in particular in South East Asia (SEA) where agricultural intensification processes have profound implications for ecosystems and health. However, using the ecohealth approach to comprehensively tackle complex issues requires individual, institutional and country capacity in understanding and applying this approach within the context of the region. The newly developed program Field Building Leadership Initiative: advancing ecohealth in SEA (FBLI) aims at building the field of ecohealth by integrating research, training, policy and networking to focus on solving human health problems associated with agricultural intensification in SEA countries. This program is supported by International Development Research Center (IDRC, Canada) and implemented by a Regional Core Group – comprising representatives from a consortium of seven partner institutions from Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and China with solid experience in ecohealth – will implement the program in close collaboration with national partners, other regional and global ecohealth networks.
The program is looking for a Ph.D candidate to be an active member of the research team.
4. Job requirements:
The research component of FBLI Vietnam aims at using an ecohealth approach to address the impacts of livestock and human waste on health, environment and socio-economics as well as introduce interventions to better manage livestock and human waste, contributing to the improvement of health and well-being of people and environment. The study will have field components (sampling, survey and interview) and laboratory (microbiology, chemistry) and community participatory approach. PhD student will attend PhD program in HSPH.
5. Job Requirements:
- Master in public health, biology, environmental science, medicine and veterinary medicine or veterinary public health.
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken.
- Experience with Ecohealth is an advantage.
- Be proactive, flexible and highly responsible for job
- Ability to communicate and coordinate well to cooperate neatly as well as effectively with stakeholders, Access to the community is an important factor.
- Take high commitment to fulfill the assigned tasks with deadlines in the contract.
- Commitment to participate in some localities where the project is implemented (mainly in Hanam province).
6. Work place and compensation
Successful candidate is entitled to all the rights specified in the contract:
- Allowance depends on experience.
- Holidays: according to Vietnam Labor Law.
- Work place: CENPHER
- Support: stationery and laptop
- Participate in training and be supported for training on some fields related to the project.
Applicants are invited to send through email
- A letter of motivation
- A curriculum vitae
- Copies of main diplomas
- Names and addresses of two reference persons
8. For more information, please contact:
Dr. Nguyễn Việt Hùng
Centre for Public Health and Ecosystem Research (CENPHER)
Environmental Health Faculty – Hanoi School of Public Health
T: (+84) 4.62733162, F: (+84) 4.62733172
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org